I admit it. I'm addicted to eating healthy, almost to an obsessive level. I'm a raw foodie as much as I can be. Ultimately, the most important nutritional discipline I have in my house is FEW processed Foods.
HEALTHY EATING TIPS
When you buy produce pay attention to the code to avoid GMO.
1) If it starts with a 9 it's fine. 2) If the code starts with an 8, YOU HATE (don't buy it, it's GMO).
AVOID white foods
white sugar, white bread, white flour, white rice, white potatoes etc. They are refined, metabolize too quickly, and can cause insulin spikes and have you crash.
Eat naturally grown (no chemicals)
Try to get organic or heirloom products that are grown naturally, non-GMO, and no chemicals.
1/2 cup to 1 cup is the range of serving sizes for most foods.
Fruit juices, sports drinks, and sodas. DRINK water and herbal teas instead (64-90 oz).
*According to 1/31/2014 article by the Institute for Natural Healing (GREAT TIPS, go here to read/subscribe http://institutefornaturalhealing.com/
We hear it almost daily. Eat your fruits and veggies for a long life.
Thinner skinned produce is more vulnerable to pesticides and other chemicals.
Non-Organic Versions of these Five Foods are Safe to Eat
[Paraphrased from today's Institute for Natural Healing's News Article]
1. Onions: multi-layered means less likely to be penetrated by pests or chemicals. EAT them for gut health and to help regulate blood sugar.
2. Avocados: that skin is mighty tough and less likely to be penetrated by pests or chemicals. EAT them for their rich antioxidants, vitamin E, and lutein (maintains clear vision). They’re also a GOOD FAT to consume, helps you feel fuller longer, helps balance hormones and the absorption of nutrients.
3. Sweet Potatoes: this type of potato is NOT dosed with chemicals and are high in fiber and vitamin A (good for vision and reproductive health). GREAT for after a workout to restore glycogen -- but HIGH in carbohydrates, so don't over do it!
4. Asparagus: pests just don't like to eat them so they're not heavily dosed with chemicals. They do not have a thick skin like other foods on this list, but the consumption is mainly the dense tips and not the stalks. High in vitamin B2 (helps reduce migraines by 50 percent)!!
5. Coconuts: that outer layer is virtually impervious! NO bug or chemical is going to penetrate it.
Drop me a line if you have ideas for future blog posts.
*Excerpted from 1/31/2014 article by the Institute for Natural Healing (GREAT TIPS, go here to read/subscribe http://institutefornaturalhealing.com/