Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipe: Tomato Onion Pepper
- 3 extra large tomatoes (without peels, cut small)
- 2 tablespoons organic butter
- 1 medium red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup celery (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons organic raw sugar
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup ground oats (optional)
- Eat as side or main dish.
- Eat alone or add to black beans (see Recipe page)
-Add all ingredients to crock pot (EXCEPT GROUND OATS...they come later and are optional).
-Set temperature on low and stir well for several minutes until well mixed and butter is melted.
-Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
OPTIONALLY, add 1/2 cup of ground oats and cook on low for an additional 30-40 minutes.
Tip: Grind steel cut oats or groats to make your own oat flour and store for use as a healthy thickener.**
**Corn starch is NOT healthy. Unfortunately, a large portion of corn in the US is genetically modified. Cornstarch is made from cornflour which is full of calories, but contains no fiber, protein or any other nutrient. It's empty calories like many additives such as refined sugar.
I also mix it up by combining the dish above with my YUMMY black beans (see Recipe page on my blog).