Saturday, August 15, 2009
A friend of mine made some comments about herself that I could relate to. She's in her mid-20's and I just turned 49.
1. Do you ever think of yourself as "weird, odd, or different?" If so, does that have to be a bad thing? I don't think so!
Consider this: when people call me that, they mean it as a criticism and I smile with a REALLY big smile and warmly say, THANK YOU! Isn’t it nice to be unique?
2. Self-reflection and assessing ones life at various points is a good thing. If you feel like you've ‘run away’ from life, that’s pretty normal behavior. [Life IS scary, overwhelming and wonderful].
BUT a wise person once told me that you cannot run away from yourself, because wherever YOU go, there YOU are!
3. Often think 'what am I doing with my life? I don't know what I want to be? I've reached this point and what do I have to show for it?
Some people NEVER reach ‘being’ or aren’t even aware (or even try to get there)! Striving to BE is a life-long process. That process often requires a few steps forward and a few steps back.
I lovingly suggest you be kinder to yourself in that striving to BE. The process is a path towards ‘self-actualization.'
4. Take what people say about you with a grain of salt. Everyone has an opinion, but ultimately only YOU really know who you are. People's opinions are colored by their own perceptions. Their perceptions ARE not YOUR realities!
5. Any negative statement that is made about you should have the negative element removed...turn IT into a POSITIVE.
6. If you are a little too sensitive (I used to be) that’s a balancing act that takes time. [Better to be too sensitive than not caring.
One of the most life changing events in my life that brought me inner peace, and quelled the inner struggle was learning to embrace my inner child. I have a passion to share my hard-won wisdom on that path to self-actualization.
How about making a 'List of Things I Want to Do in My Life' and start doing them. PM me to discuss if you wish.
-get out and do something to make the world a happier place
-indulge in outlets of express that you LOVE (don't worry about what others think).
-learn to love with more focus and energy (be less fearful about love)
-consider living in a house where walls are painted a different color in every room.
-have a pet to love. Pets love unconditionally, cheap therapy!
-allow positive, kindhearted people into your life.
-minimize the toxic relationships/negative people in your life.
-breathe more deeply.
-world, this is me, take me for who I am!'
-run toward people, places, memories, and dreams not away from
Put these things on your list of things that you want to do in your life. Remember life is a process and a path. You can't get there overnight.